What is CRAICCHS?
The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare shows that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders face extreme challenges which contribute to poor health and other multiple complex problems including chronic diseases.
One of the significant factors that contribute to this health gap is poor access to effective and timely health services.*
In light of this, Cherbourg Regional Aboriginal & Islander Community Controlled Health Services Ltd (CRAICCHS) joins the government and other NGO’s in providing community programs to help our local community.
We are proud to offer the following programs:
Care Coordination & Supplementary Services (CCSS)
CRAICCHS’ aim is to improve health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander’s with chronic diseases. Through this program, you will have better access to coordinated, multidisciplinary care.
Our Care Coordinators are here to work with you, your doctor, your loved ones, specialists and allied health providers to achieve the goals of your Care Plan.
This Can include Help With:
- Coordinating appointments to allied health service providers such as dietician, physiotherapist, psychologist, and others;
- Transport services for specialist appointments and treatments
- Affordable accommodation during specialist appointments and/or treatment
This service is available for free to all eligible Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander’s.
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander who has at least one chronic disease which may include Diabetes, Cancer, Cardiovascular Disease, Chronic Respiratory Disease, or Chronic Renal Disease.
- Have a Care Plan written within 12 months prior to the referral
Eligible clients are also required to have a current care plan and Indigenous Health Check.
How to Access the Program
You can be referred to the program by an Aboriginal Medical Service, your usual GP, or the Hospital
Social and Emotional Wellbeing Program (SEWB)
We recognise and understand the impact of past trauma, depression, separation of families, along with other social and cultural issues of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander’s.
As such, we have designed the SEWB program to strengthen the emotional and social wellbeing of the community as well as encourage and empower individuals to ‘Be strong and Live Long’
- to respect cultural values and confidentiality
- provide support and counselling
- support strong, healthy and resilient individuals, families and communities’ advocacy
- support pathways to education and employment
- create partnership
CRAICCHS SEWB Support Services Include:
- Strategies for individuals and families support group
- Assistance in searching for family via linked-up services
- Access to cultural healing practices
- Referral to other professional support services
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander SEWB Program can be accessed by: GP referrals, Walk-ins, Other services and CRAICCHS Gumbuya Family Wellbeing Program
The Family Wellbeing (FWB) Program
We recognise the unique family dynamics and cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
For this reason, the FWB program uses an all-inclusive approach that actively engages with every identified family member to develop and coordinate strong case management.
- Focus on the child
- Empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parents, families and communities
- Enable self-determination
- Employ a holistic and strength based approach
- Recognise culture as a protective factor
- Address issues and enable healing
- Create partnerships
We Can Assist With (but not limited):
- Strategies for parents
- Managing household children’s behaviour
- Family conflict
- Access to local services
You can access the aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Family Wellbeing program through walk-ins and referrals.
Aside from the above services for the community, we at CRAICCH also provide a variety of other services including:
- GP Service
- ATSI Health checks
- Mum’s, Dad’s and Bob’s Program
- Chronic Disease Management Clinic
- Weight Management
- Gymnasium & Physical Activities
- Quit Smoking Program
- Social & Emotional Wellbeing Program
- Health 4 Life Program
If you are an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander contact us to see how we may be able to help you.
Book An Appointment.
Phone: (07) 4169 8600
Fax: (07) 4169 5164
Or visit us:
Cherbourg Regional Aboriginal & Islander Community Controlled Health Services (CRAICCHS)
Corner of Bligh & Broadway Streets Cherbourg, Queensland